Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

The Exclusivity of Projects Rant-ish

I'm not going to get too into this because I have other things I should be doing but I can't help but make note of this. Months ago, I blogged about the Exclusivity of Projects and the basics of that whole "private property" notion that scanlators adopt (those who respect it that is). I also made note of how people can abuse that. Now this post is about one group (whom I shall not name but you may speculate from the details).

This group has really been a thorn I'd say but in another respect they are quite notable for "good" scanlating work. This group is one of the oldest I'd say (relatively), they've been going at it for quite awhile and produce HQ scanlations. HOWEVER, the thing that irks me the most and also displays the abuse of the exclusivity "phenomenon" is the freaking fact that they keep taking up new projects and not bothering to actually complete old ones. Ok so I've done a count and here are the numbers:

Totaling "active" projects are about 120 (+/- 5)!! 
Projects that they've set their sights on (therefore other groups may not touch them unless they contact the group for "permission") totals to 170 (+/- 5).
AND "future" oneshots add up to about 130!!

Now I suppose I can just counteract that by observing what their completion ratio is so here are the numbers: 75 (+/-5)

I get it, the amount of man power it takes and I get that I'm not taking into consideration the amount of chapters and differences in terms of quality of work required for each manga as well as the fact that they may not have listed every single project they've completed but still...This number of active projects is quite excessive and the future ones that they have their sights on (it's good to look towards the future but it's obviously gotten out of control) is quite outrageous (somewhat of an exaggeration on my part i suppose). Now, they certainly turn out great work and I absolutely praise them for that but when I just see on whatever manga site I"m on and on the updated page, a manga with their group name on it saying "Chapter 1" as an update, it just pricks at me with annoyance.

I"m actually making it a bigger deal than it is and I actually don't care that much as it sounds like I do here but seriously it's like WTH right? Mmmm...yeah, that's all I wanted to say.

Lol first time I posted something related to manga on this blog in awhile. And a tangent from this blog but still related to the whole exclusivity thing, I just wish that people would take it in strides as in if some low blow scanlator picks up a project without any consideration for the HQ scanlator, I wish the HQ scanlator will just be the bigger person and still release despite less numbers reading the HQ scans =l I surely prefer it over low blow quality (especially when they butcher the english langauge)

Well until next whenever that may be...midterms are coming up x0

No comments:

Post a Comment