Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Rambling--My Beginnings with...

Sorry everyone. I had a topic planned but I haven't completed it yet. I would do another "segment" of "Authors" but I don't want to burn that one out. So right now I'm just thinking on the spot as I type this and I think maybe I'll just go with my "firsts" or beginnings based on what I remember. I was going to just do manga but it's not as long. This is just going to be my first on hand experience. I'll leave online exposure to another time.

MANGA
I was first exposed when I was really young. All mangas I knew of were from the library but I didn't actually read because it was what I myself decided to read. It's like when you are stuck in a small community and all you can do in it is what you are given to do. I was in elementary/grade school at the time. My brother was in junior high/middle school and right next to the school was one of the public library branches in my city. He occasionally borrowed mangas from what was available at the branch and so I was first exposed to manga by the title of...uh....*google search: robot girl manga* Battle Angel Alita. I didn't exactly follow the story (since there wasn't much of a transfer of books from library to library nor was there a request system yet, usually it was one of those volume 4 then 2 then 5 kind of readings) but it was interesting. There was then Ranma 1/2 and later on the whole "fad" with Inu-yasha--by that time, my sister was in middle/junior high school and she provided me with my manga. Of course later there were more and more mangas like Watase Yuu's Fushigi Yuugi; there was also Saint Tail, Cardcaptor Sakura, X/1999 (this one I couldn't follow because of its complexity but Clamp's art was and still is very beautiful). When I entered middle/junior high myself, the range of mangas widened to W Juliet, Kare Kano, Prince of Tennis, Godchild, Imadoki (Nowadays), Swan, Hana Yori Dango, Ceres, etc. (Just a lot more, the manga collection at my city's library system exploded in numbers) but anywas, I think my genuine first manga exposure was Battle Angel Alita. I haven't touched that manga since then....

ANIME
So being an ABC (American Born C____) it's not odd that my first exposure to any anime (not cartoons, anime as in made in japan kind of thing) was dubbed. Being a child of those times, I can't exactly remember my first animes but Sailor Moon was up there along with Dragon Ball Z and of course who doesn't remember Pokemon! Yeah I was growing up during those times when these anime dubs were on. I remember before I had to attend language classes on saturday that every morning, my siblings and I would wake up early like maybe 6 or 7 AM in the morning (not sure about the time but it was early) because that's when Saturday morning cartoons in general would begin. This was of course way before my exposure to manga. Over the years I remember having watched Digimon and Cardcaptor Sakura too...not sure where that fits in in the picture... and later Yu-gi-oh as well. But anyways, I still have VHS tapes (Yes, I'm a child of the last years of VHS) of Sailor Moon, Pokemon, and Dragon Ball Z dubs stashed somewhere.

Ah...the memories. It's amazing when I think back. Just thinking about the mangas, the library system in my city has just grown so very much and there's also the whole online internet mangas! Then the animes as well as just Saturday morning cartoons. I didn't have cable and still don't have cable or any sort of television service that I have to pay for (I'm one of those people who didn't grow up watching Rugrats, Hey Arnold!, and Sponge Bob) so when I think about the huge shift in just kid's cartoon television shows on (what do you call free no serviced television?) the channels I have grown up with, it's just really different. There aren't any more anime dubs, all or most of what is available are American/Western cartoons--well with the exception that Yu-gi-oh is still on.

Alright that's it for this week. I think I'll do online exposure some other time. I hope you thought my experience was interesting but if not =)

Toodles~
tohukyo

No comments:

Post a Comment