Pages

Monday, February 17, 2014

New Manga--Like Blind Love

I was considering not calling this "Like Blind Love" because I over-thought the possibility of someone getting offended so if you do are offended, please...I don't mean to be. (now onto the post...)

WARNING--CONTAINS SPOILERS!! (read the first two chapters of  Nanoka no Kare if you don't want to be spoiled)

This is a newly scanlated manga about a high school girl who isn't that crazy about the idea of being in a relationship. She's not like those people who form shallow relationships for the sake of just wanting a boy/girlfriend like her friend here. In her experience, she once was in a relationship with a boy that was a little too needy. He was the type of guy who wanted the girl to be devoted to the him (typical traditionalist) but she isn't the type of person to do that. She wasn't the type to be devoted and loyal but she still loved the boy. Now...guys being guys, he tried to show-off his "game" and lied to his friends about having kissed her (probably because his friends were teasing him which is so typical). She happens to overhear and gets the wrong impression, confronts him and he gets too pushy about something along the lines of her being distant and almost forces a kiss on her, resulting in their break up. (sorry for that run-on but I don't feel like reliving that explanation). One day she's alone eating at some fast food place and overhears the couple she is sitting behind having an argument. The girl is breaking up with the guy because the guy is being distant. A day or two later, she just happens to walk passed the guy with a couple of his friends and overhears how the guy answers his friends' questions about the break up. Instead of being "typical guy" and trying to show-off, he explains with somewhat honesty but never lying. The way he explains it hits her with an impact and suddenly, she turns around and confesses to him thinking he can "heal" her but much to her surprise, seeing his face for the first time, she's in shock (and awe I think).

Ah..now that I'm done with the long drawn out spoiler explanation of my perception of how the first chapter (and a half?) went, but to sum it up, let's just say I'm excited about this manga's potential. Oh but first off, I'll get out the obvious possible cliche that's to come. Because of the situation, I'm totally calling that this boy is the younger brother of the guy that she dated before (or somehow related like a cousin). If the story doesn't move along that way then kudos but if it does...I hope it doesn't drag on and it strides well with it.

Now onto why I'm really intrigued by this manga--as the title of this blog indicates, I named it "like blind love" and what I mean is that I love the originality in how this mangaka write this story. The girl finds new love in a person whom she's never faced before- instead she falls for the sincerity and patience that she's longed for through his words and actions. What I like more about this manga too is that in a way, I consider this female lead to be quite the modern woman. My reasoning for this is because traditionally in relationships, girls are expected to be really devoted to their boyfriends and husbands and families--leaving their sense of identity such as a career of their own or their own relationships with their own friends. This girl, even though she had a boyfriend, she doesn't conform to popular convention and wants to hang with her friends whereas everyone else seems to think she should be devoted wholeheartedly to the boy. That's very typical shoujo as well (leaving all sense of identity and being totally devoted to love and all that). I feel that there is a lot of potential for this manga and I hope it doesn't flop.

Anyway, so far it's a good start and I like the originality. Praise to Chibi scans for scanlating amazing story (maybe it's about time to drop a few of the others eh? no offense). I hope I didn't butcher this for all of you readers. Give this manga a chance anyways if you were bored out of your mind reading my post. It's awesome and you wont' regret it for sure!

Best,
tohukyo


1 comment:

  1. I like your blog. Your comments on the story intrigued me so I thought I would go look at it. It was also nice that you had a link right there. I like the story and I also like what you said about how the protagonist is a "modern woman." It's nice to see someone who doesn't lose their identity just because they find a boyfriend (like in so many manga).

    ReplyDelete