Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Quick Post--Sekkusu Shinai Shokogun aka "Celibacy Syndrome"

Considering all the manga out there and the perpetual use of the fornication/sex motif, I find it ironic that Japan has been declared to have a "celibacy syndrome" or sekkusu shinai shokogun. I thought that Japan's starting age of sexual activity was getting younger and younger because of these mangas and because the manga I happened to be reading at the time was a George Asakura manga about teenagers being sexually active as young as in middle school (really horny boys going through puberty as well). Anyways, I was typing a post in thread and wanted to back my claim about the age of sexual activity thing but when I googled it, I was surprised and amused by the irony (especially since Japan is notorious for its red light district as well as well as other sexual related scandalous-ness.)

If you google Japan, Celibacy Syndrome or anything related to Japan, Birth Rate, and anything about sexual activity, you'll be met with articles talking about this phenomenon. It's amusing and interesting really. Apparently there are different reasons but it all seems to tie together with the economy as well as the idea of commitment and a traditional relationship. It seems like the claim about the economy doing not as well is the dominant opinion but it's hard to say. Some also think it's b/c of the contradictory mores and economy that exist right now.

Well I didn't look into it that much but I found this phenomenon of news quite interesting and wanted to share it. Just google or search it and you'll find a bunch of articles (I found one from washington post even but not new york times) dating back to just a few days ago, A FEW DAYS AGO!!

Of course there are some arguments about this b/c not having sex isn't the same as having children and it's having the low birth rate that's of concern. Why suddenly did this bubble of news burst open? Not sure but it's interesting. I guess it's because of the fact that Japan is such a huge economic giant plays a role in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment