Pages

Sunday, August 11, 2013

How I feel about Harem Mangas

Greetings,

It's midnight Saturday into Sunday right now. (Is it midnight Saturday or is it midnight Sunday?) I'm posting this before I go to bed instead of after because I won't have time to later.

I'm just going to touch on this topic about harem mangas kind of lightly since this is just personal taste and opinion. Sorry if it sounds immature and inexperienced on my part. 

So...how do I feel about Harem mangas in general? Frankly I don't like/hate them. But my feelings towards those mangas varies between harem and reverse harems. What's the difference? Most people who have read manga for some time know (I suppose). Harem mangas are when you have one male and multiple females. A reverse harem is when you have one female and multiple males. 

Harem mangas. 
I don't particularly have any ill feelings for harem mangas since most of them are involved in comedy and aren't very serious at all. I tend to avoid them though because there isn't much substance to a lot of them. There are a few exceptions of course but I can only think of Kimi no Iru Machi and Yamada and the Seven Witches (if you can all Yamada an harem manga at all). I guess the difference is that those that I avoid usually center on a story about one guy encountering a bunch of girls from the very beginning of the story-usually very comedic and often a lot of comedic ecchi scenes too...The most clear indication of the harem manga that I avoid are those that start with a guy returning to a village or small town, encountering multiple girls with one as a former childhood friend? Sounds like Love Hina right? I'll admit that I read it when I was younger and it was for humor and boredom I suppose but in the last few years or so...not my taste. 

Reverse Harems.
For this genre, I guess I can kind of say I actually hate this genre. Of course with a "few" exceptions...though I can actually think of one right now which is Ouran High School Host Club. Anyways, the reason why I hate this genre is because more often than not, the female lead is just so...SO irritatingly frustratingly annoying. I guess they all try to redeem themselves in some way but since it's usually a shoujo manga...it's not easy to avoid cliches like really annoying love polygons. I guess when love isn't so involved as much, I appreciate reverse harems more, just like the one I mentioned already i.e. Ouran. But it's so rare. There is another kind of reverse harem manga that I thought did well known as Love Sick by Morie Satoshi. This one did involve love and all but the female lead carried herself through pretty well in relation to what the plot of the story was. Random Walk by Yoshizawa Wataru is another reverse harem-ish manga but I thought it reflected well on the whole dating experience that people today have in high school (though the girl fell in love with people too easily but I credit that to her open mind and her father). 

Basically, I'm less critical of harem mangas since they're usually comedic but reverse harems are more difficult for me to enjoy....I think the subjected pathetic-ness of the female leads is to blame when in contrast, harem mangas don't usually have pathetic males as a protagonist...

That's all I have to say for this topic. I don't want to get into it that much. 

Best,
tohukyo

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of it Oresama Teacher as a reverse harem. Maybe it's because of the way the manga is structured as well as the story. Love Sick is a pretty serious story line though but it was very focused and didn't stray much from the character's goal until the end when she accomplished her goal of revenge. But other than that, yes cliches...

      Delete